Troupakis Mourtzinos´ castle was built on 1807, and consists of a bulding complex, into which resides the older temple of st. Spiridon. On 6 January 1821, Kolokotronis came to this castle and stayed for two and a half months, where he planned and begun the attack to liberate Kalamata from Turks. Into the complex of the castle you can see:
The church of Ayios Spyridon (1685 - 1715)
Family church of the Troupakides-Mourtzinoi, a structure that displayed the power and economic well-being of the family. It belongs to the type of the aisleless domed basilica that is common in the region and the period, with architectural influences from both the west (pointed arches, round fanlights, bell-tower) and from the Byzantine past (octagonal dome, relief double eagles).
The gate of the inner fortification wall of the complex
The fortification wall of the middle defensive enclosure was strengthened by a small tower at the north-west corner, the base of which is preserved. To the right of the gate there is a broad walkway, 2.85 m. high, from which the castle garrison fought the enemy from the protection of the breastwork. The gate was closed by a heavy bolt that was withdrawn into a socket about 2 m. long in the masonry.
The original goes back to the second period of Venetian rule, and there was a major repair at the beginning of the 19th century. It is a three-storey building, with ancillary areas (stables, storeroom) on the ground floor and residential areas on the two upper storeys. Its architecture emphasises its defensive character.
Tis was the last refuge of the defenders. It was built at the turn of the 17th-18th century and repaired in 1808, according to an inscription. It was surmounted by a defensive parapet around the perimeter, with four projecting cylindrical turrets at the corners ("cages"), which no longer survive. Its base contains a blind, barrel-vaulted room that serves as a prison ("gouva"). The only entrance is on the first floor and was accessed by a wooden drawbridge, which was later replaced by the barrel-vault that now links the staircase with the escarpment of the tower.
The discovery of a blacksmith´s furnace, a stone bench and cannon balls on the ground floor of the two-storey building identify this building with the blacksmith´s, the only one found in Mani.
On the ground floor of the two-storey building can me seen the mouth of an underground cistern that secured a water supply for the imhabitants of the complex. Part of the pipe that carried the rainwater into it is preserved in the south-west corner.
Open area bounded by a wall, used to grow food, as is still clear from the vegetable patches discovered during the restoration work. It met the needs of the family.
The complex includes a unit for producing oil, the basic product of the region. The large millstones and part of the mechanism are still preserved in the room of the oil-press.